Friday, December 24, 2004

Am I crazy?

Another post? I must be crazy.

Actually it's been several hours since I slept. I'm feeling a little mad, to be honest.

No one really knows why we need sleep. In a Physiology class, we learnt about sleep one fine day (one of the very few classes I actually stayed awake in, ironically). [Well, I don't know about "learnt" or not, but we were "taught" anyway.]

When we're awake, our brain has a certain electrical pattern. How about when we're asleep? Specifically, when we dream? It's the same pattern.

So does that mean, when *we're* asleep our brain is still awake? Yes.

Why? Who knows.

Well then if our brain is still awake when we're asleep, why do we need sleep? I have no idea. But I know first hand, if I stay awake more than 48 hrs, I go nuts.

Some things, we never find out, probably because we're not meant to. Maybe the exact electrical relevance of sleep is *supposed* to be a mystery. But I'm sure glad I enjoy my sleep!

Vikas

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home